ENJOY 4 MIN READ
- To compare yourself to competitors and use your findings to your advantage
- To identify what changes to make
- To get a general overview of the SEO efficiency of your site
- To uncover your website’s weaknesses and fix them
- To set some expectations for your website’s future
- To drive organic traffic to your site and improve your search rankings
- To maximize conversion rates
How to audit your website
- Is your content helpful? Remember, content is king. With this in mind, it’s important you create content that appeals to your targeted audience. It should also be well-written, informative, persuasive and educational. Does it have a call-to-action (CTA)?
- Also, quality content should appeal to the needs, interest, desire and problems of your buyer persona. A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research. It should be well-written and free of grammatical errors. Also, it should provide detailed information about a particular topic.
- Also, you should ensure that the content on your website is error-free. Update any page containing grammatical and spelling mistakes. This would reduce the risk of readers questioning the credibility and authority of your website.
- Is there any factual inaccuracy? Are your old contents updated with new information? Be on the lookout for inaccurate data and old sources.
- Lastly, what about duplicated content? Contents that are unique, fresh and original usually rule the first page of search engine results. You want to make sure your content is plagiarism-free.
- Quality keywords – Are you using the right keywords that guarantee performance? What keywords do you think to give you the biggest gains in traffic and leads (long tail or short tail keywords)?
- Optimized website URLs – URLs should not be keyword stuffed. But, review URLs, page titles, copy and meta-description to be sure you included relevant keywords.
- Optimized site structure – As you audit your website, you also want to make sure you link to web pages (internal and external).
- Are landing pages, offers, call-to-actions well optimized?
- Well-written title and meta-description – This might not influence your ranking, but it does get you more clicks
- Text formatting – Your text should be well formatted. H1 is for the main title and H2 for the main headings. Use bold and italics when trying to emphasize and lists when necessary.
- Images – Images makes your page attractive and easy to read. Use keywords to describe your image. Use ALT tags to describe images and try as much as you can to reduce large images. This enables the page to load fast.
- Are the unique value propositions of your business accessible through main navigation?
- Are pages cluttered or congested with call-to-action (CTAs) and ads?
- Is your website optimized for lead generation and conversion?
- How many marketing offers do you have in your content?
- Is there a variety of marketing offers that interest your buyer persona?
- Do you have a landing page?
- How effective are your CTAs?
- Is your website design responsive? Is it mobile friendly? There’s an increasing use of smartphones by consumers to access the Internet. So, your website should be responsive. Do your readers have access to your website through their tabs, mobile phones, or even laptops? Also, are important information displayed well on different screen size
- Is your website error message free? You should keep your eye open for error messages and broken links that lead visitors to dead ends. Are there response code errors crowding your website? What about the broken links? Are they cleared? Tools like Google’s Webmaster can be helpful in finding these error messages and cleaning up broken links.
- Is your website scan-able? Visitors rarely read through everything on your website; they’re more likely to scan your page
Website Auditing Tools
- Content reports
Judith is a content marketing manager at Sidekick Social Media and also writes for She Leads Africa. She loves to write and when not writing, she loves to listen to a long playlist of good music.